Leaders in Canadian Business and Entrepreneurship Join Startup Canada Team
Ottawa, ON (Tuesday, October 30, 2012) – Key members of Canada’s business and enterprise sectors have joined Startup Canada’s leadership team as it prepares to launch its national strategy to support entrepreneurship in Canada.
A new Management Board and two new committees – a National Advisory Council and a Government, Industry and Academic Advisory Board – will strengthen the voice of entrepreneurs at the heart of the organization and engage additional stakeholders from Canada’s economic ecosystem.
Startup Canada’s blueprint for kick-starting entrepreneurship in Canada will be unveiled at the end of November and will contain key findings and action items from its National Tour.
“As a volunteer-run organization, Startup Canada is fuelled by the guidance and support of its board and advisors,” said Adam Chowaniec, Founding Chairman of Startup Canada and a member of the new Management Board. “Accordingly, we have augmented the founding board with key individuals who can provide strategic direction for Startup Canada as it enters the next phase of its evolution.”
The new National Advisory Council will be composed entirely of entrepreneurs, hailing from a range of geographic regions and industry sectors.
“I’m excited to be part of Startup Canada’s National Advisory Council and to lend a voice to the need and importance of helping develop, fund, and celebrate Canada’s strong entrepreneurial community,” said Dani Reiss, President and CEO, Canada Goose.
The Government, Industry and Academic Advisory Board will broaden Startup Canada’s expertise in areas such as policy, education, training, and innovation.
“When we look at the three pillars of innovation and entrepreneurship – government, academia and industry – and the desired outcome of creating more successful Canadian companies, collaboration and alignment of desired outcome amongst the three pillars are crucial,” said incoming board memberSophia Leong, Director, Executive MBA Program, Telfer School of Management, University of Ottawa. “I hope our initiatives will bring forward ‘action-oriented collaborations’ with a sense of urgency to ensure that we are systematically achieving our desired outcome to strengthen our competitive position in the global market and to maintain a strong economy for all Canadians.”
Additional members will be added to the National Advisory Council and the Government, Industry and Academic Advisory Board in 2013.
Earlier this year, Startup Canada visited 10 provinces during a six-month National Tour to celebrate entrepreneurship across Canada. More than 20,000 Canadians participated in Town Halls and Fringe Events that brainstormed solutions to the top challenges facing entrepreneurs on local, regional and national scales.
Startup Canada sponsors include Microsoft, Gowlings, Ernst & Young, Best Western Hotels, the Canadian Innovation Commercialization Program, Export Development Canada, The VideoBooth Company, Artik, Kick Ass Media, PubliAir, the Ottawa Technology Transfer Network, the Association of University Research Parks Canada, Blab Media, the Canadian Association of Business Incubation, the Evidence Network, Francis Moran & Associates, FreshBooks, Global Advantage Consulting Group, MSBi Valorisation, Podio, Backbone Magazine, HootSuite, ITWorld Canada, NextMTL, Paper.li, Sprouter, and Techvibes.
Startup Canada Management Board
- Lanis Anthony, Entrepreneur and Angel Investor
- Adam Chowaniec, Founding Chairman, Startup Canada
- Sorin Cohn, President, BD Cohnsulting
- Andrea Mandel-Campbell, Journalist, Author, Communications Consultant
- Emanuel Montenegrino, Partner, McMillan
- Elisabeth Preston, Managing Partner Ottawa, McMillan LLP
- Debbie Weinstein, Co-Founder and Partner, LaBarge Weinstein
- Lori O’Neill, CA, CPA, ICD.D
- Cam Cameron, Associate, Gowlings Lafleur Henderson LLP
Startup Canada National Advisory Council
- Chris Albinson, Managing Director and Co-founder, Founders Circle Capital
- Paul Cataford, President & CEO, Zephyr Sleep Technologies
- Rivers Corbett, CEO and Founder, Corbett Ventures
- Mike Edwards, Executive Director, GrowLab
- Jeremy Gutsche, Founder and CEO, Trend Hunter
- Michael Legary, Chief Strategy Officer, Seccuris
- David Levi, President & CEO, Matrix Asset Management
- Gerry Pond, Chairman, Mariner
- Yona Shtern, CEO, Beyond the Rack
- Robert Sherkin, CEO & President, Dynamic Tire Corp.
- Tonya Surman, Executive Director, Centre for Social Innovation
- Nicole Stefenelli, Founder and CEO, Urban Impact Recycling
- Dani Reiss, President and CEO, Canada Goose
Startup Canada Government, Industry and Academic Advisory Board
- Helen Braiter, Director, Canadian Innovation Commercialization Program, Office of Small and Medium Enterprises and Strategic Engagement, Public Works & Government Services Canada
- Pierre Bilodeau, Vice President (Operations), ISTPCanada
- Barry Bisson, President, Shad Valley
- Davender Gupta, Venture Catalyst & Leadership Coach, Startup-Académie
- Shahab Khan, IT Strategy Consultant, Innovapost Inc, & Advisory Committee Member, Canadian Cloud Council
- Paul Ledwell, Executive Vice-President, Public Policy Forum
- Sophia Leong, Director, Executive MBA Program, Telfer School of Management
- Francis Moran, Founder, Francis Moran & Associates
- Laura O’Blenis, Founder & CEO, Stiletto Consulting
- Senia Rapisarda, Vice President, Strategic Initiatives and Investments, Business Development Bank of Canada
- Rick Spence, National Entrepreneurship Columnist, Financial Post
- Carol Stewart, President, Association of University Research Parks; Manager, David Johnston Research + Technology Park, University of Waterloo
- Dave Watters, President, Global Advantage Consulting Group Inc.